I’m not much of a photographer OR a food blogger, I leave that to Nicole – but when I saw Kerry’s Pumpkin Sage and Spicy Sausage Pizza – I just *had* to veganize the recipe. I even had cooked a pumpkin just last week! Ahoy freezer!
This pizza was very different from my normal meals. Since the beginning I’ve been very weary of “transitional” vegan foods – IE: fake cheeses & meats. One of the main reasons I chose this lifestyle to eat whole, unprocessed foods. In fact, in making this pizza, I bought fake cheese for the first time! Don’t get me wrong, I’ll bring fake burgers to a cookout, vegan cream cheese for office bagel birthdays or other processed vegan foods when grabbing lunch at Whole Foods – but I try to keep it clean 80-90% of the time. (It helps that Gregg doesn’t like them at all.)
I will say I was REALLY impressed with Tofurky’s Italian Sausage – It was spicy & had a great texture. I’ll for sure be bringing it to the next cookout I attend!
This was an amazing dish to welcome Autumn. It tasted savory and thanksgiving-ish. I loved it & Gregg did as well — We looked over to the leftovers :)
Vegan Pumpkin Sage and Spicy Sausage Pizza
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ½ tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup warm water between 100-110 degrees F
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of vegan cream cheese (used this)
- ¼ cup almond milk (used this)
- 4-5 leaves of fresh sage, chopped finely
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp salt
- Combine yeast, agave, flour and oil and slowly drizzle in water until the dough comes together. Add more water or flour until the dough is neither dry nor sticky.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the top, and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 1 hour to rise – dough should be twice its original size. (Mine didn’t rise — could it be bad yeast?)
- Combine ingredients except for the vegan cream cheese and almond milk into a skillet and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in. (It will thicken up once you add the milk/cheese)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Once dough has risen, stretch or roll out into desired shape and place on a oiled pizza pan.
- Add sauce, half of the cheese, browned sausage, onions, sage and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Brush crust with melted butter and sprinkle garlic salt over entire pizza.
- Place pizza in oven and bake for 18 minutes, or until crust is browned.
this is my money shot